Hi, my name is Grant and I am ‘The Paw Man’.
I currently live in Brisbane Australia. I was a Police Dog Handler with the RAAF and have been for the past 33 years. My main postings were:
- Adelaide in South Australia for basic Rookies Course (3 months from Feb – May 79)
- Toowoomba in Queensland for Basic Police Dog Handlers Course (3 months from May – Aug 79)
- Sydney in New South Wales for 6 and a half years (Aug 79 -Jan 86)
- Amberley in Queensland for 5 years (Jan 86 – Mar 91) As an LAC/CPL Police Dog Handler doing Man/Dog patrols of the base.
- Amberley again, but this time as an instructor for 5 years at the RAAFs Police Dog Handler Training School which is the Defence establishment responsible for training Police Dog Handlers for both the Army, Navy and the RAAF. (Mar 91 – Jan 96)
- Canberra in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Jan 96 – Jul 99 as the 2nd in charge of the Dog Section.
- Amberley again, from Jul 99 till 2012. As the SGT Instructor at the RAAFs Police Dog Handler Training School . (Now known as the Military Working Dog Training Flight)
Since joining the RAAF in ’79 I have had four operational Police Dogs;
- PD ‘Swede’ from Aug 79 – Aug 87 (euthanased due to osteo-arthritis)
- PD ‘Rocky’ from Aug 87 – 89 (died under anaesthetic during dental reconstruction)
- PD ‘Barry’ from 89 – 91 (relinquished dog during instructional duties at Police Dog Handler Training School)
- PD ‘Rocky’ II from Nov 96 – Jul 99 (euthanased due to old age and other medical problems)
Grant Teeboon be covering the Brisbane and Ipswich Areas, from Redcliffe to Beenleigh. I have a franchisee, James Myers, who covers from Beenleigh to the Gold Coast.
James has been training under Grant for 18 months and now has his own coverage area.
After having dogs as pets in the family home, James adopted a Dogue de Bourdeaux who would drag on a leash, chew everything in sight and was afraid of washing machines, small spaces, drains and wheelie bins, so, James started researching the best way to help her be a more confident, happy and relaxed dog and hopefully save himself from having to continually replace wooden furniture and dog beds.
After many positive only ‘trainers’, supposed specialists, ridiculous and unrealistic solutions along with lots of wasted money James needed a working solution.
During his time working as an engineer for Defence James came across information relating to modifying canine behaviour through a local Defence forum moderated and run by Grant.
This is where the journey began.
After liaising with Grant through the forum and facebook James asked Grant to come and help with his Dogue, their new puppy who wouldn’t walk nicely and a few other behavioural issues they were having.
The behaviours were sorted easily by Grant and James became more determined to help all dogs reach their potential. Too many dogs are left without homes and put down because people don’t know how to sort out unwanted behaviours.
James decided he needed a career change and was going to join either the police or Defence to become a professional dog handler.
Unfortunately for James, life had different plans so James talked Grant into training him like he would a police dog handler and made the move from NSW to QLD to learn as much from Grant as possible. James has spent the last 18 months in Queensland attending consults, training with Grant in both Theory and Practical lessons, developing his skills and learning all he can so that he can help owners and dogs live together in harmony.