Hi, my name is Grant and I am ‘The Paw Man’.
I currently live in Brisbane Australia . I say ‘currently’ because I’m in the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) and they have a tendency to move me around a bit. I am a Police Dog Handler with the RAAF and have been for the past 32 years. So far my main postings have been to:
- Adelaide in South Australia for basic Rookies Course (3 months from Feb – May 79)
- Toowoomba in Queensland for Basic Police Dog Handlers Course (3 months from May – Aug 79)
- Sydney in New South Wales for 6 and a half years (Aug 79 -Jan 86)
- Amberley in Queensland for 5 years (Jan 86 – Mar 91) As an LAC/CPL Police Dog Handler doing Man/Dog patrols of the base.
- Amberley again, but this time as an instructor for 5 years at the RAAFs Police Dog Handler Training School which is the Defence establishment responsible for training Police Dog Handlers for both the Army, Navy and the RAAF. (Mar 91 – Jan 96)
- Canberra in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) Jan 96 – Jul 99 as the 2nd in charge of the Dog Section.
- Amberley again, from Jul 99 till the present day. As the SGT Instructor at the RAAFs Police Dog Handler Training School . (Now known as the Military Working Dog Training Flight)
Since joining the RAAF in ’79 I have had four operational Police Dogs;
- PD ‘Swede’ from Aug 79 – Aug 87 (euthanased due to osteo-arthritis)
- PD ‘Rocky’ from Aug 87 – 89 (died under anaesthetic during dental reconstruction)
- PD ‘Barry’ from 89 – 91 (relinquished dog during instructional duties at Police Dog Handler Training School)
- PD ‘Rocky’ II from Nov 96 – Jul 99 (euthanased due to old age and other medical problems)
My duties at the Military Working Dog Training Flight at RAAF Amberley (Brisbane) are many and varied. I am currently one of the senior instructors at the Military Working Dog Training Flight.